There are many ways to learn to say I’m sorry in Spanish.
Lo siento. This means sorry, it can be used in situations when you are asking for forgiveness.
Perdon. You can say this when you are asking for forgiveness or when you feel at fault.
Disculpe: This is a way to excuse yourself in a very polite manner.
Situations in which you should use ¡disculpe!
- If you ask a favor you say: ¡disculpe!
- If you enter in a place of formality, in the sense of “asking permission to come in, you say: ¡disculpe!
- If you want to get the attention of someone you say: ¡disculpa!
- If you ask for the address of a place you may start by saying: ¡disculpa!
Situations in which you should use ¡perdón!
- If you are to blame for something you say: ¡perdón!, For example if there is a problem in your family by your fault or a fight with your boyfriend or friend and it was your fault.
- If you say something wrong you would later say: ¡perdón!
- You can also use the word ¡perdón! when you have used the wrong word and what to excuse yourself.
Situations in which you should use ¡lo siento!
- If you don’t want to say something, something like a secret or confidential information says ¡lo siento!
- If you did something but it was not your intention you say: ¡lo siento!
- To offer offer condolences: ¡lo siento!